Saturday, September 15, 2007

Whip Email: First Meeting of the Semester

I've got a lawsuit against Brown & Willliamson now. Because I have been chain-smoking Pall Malls since I was 11. And on their package they promised to kill me.
-The formerly-not-late Kurt Vonnegut (2004 in www.spokesmanreview.com/)

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Oh yeah? Well sometimes it's a big brown dick with a fat, arrogant, white-collar business-criminal asshole sucking on the wet end of it."
-George Carlin (You're All Diseased; Atlantic Records, 1999)

"Let me attain no envied wealth,
let me not plunder cities,
neither be taken in turn, and face
life in the power of another."
-Clytaemnestra (Agamemnon; Aeschylus; trans: Richmond Lattimore)

The Philolexian Society invites you, cordially, to the first debate of the semester!

Resolved: The detrimental health affects of smoking do not out-weigh how cool you look doing it.

Come to:
JD Satow room (fifth floor of Lerner Hall)
8:30 PM
Thursday
September 13
Refreshments to precede the meeting.
Old and new members welcome alike.

Be there. All the cool kids are doing it .

Surgam,

...and that's DOCTOR Whippersnapper to you!


Quamquam Ridentem Dicere Verum, Quid Vetat?
-Horace (Satires)

The Man who never alters his opinion is like standing water & breeds reptiles of the mind.
-William Blake (The Marriage of Heaven and Hell)

1 comment:

AdamDeutsch said...

While I have not attended the meeting because I live in Los Angeles, I'll comment regardless.

I believe this resolution to be one the past - the health risks have been so clearly enumerated time and time again that many people have developed disdain for smokers premised on the smokers' stupidity. Smokers are looked at as weak beings who cannot stupor their compulsions that will surely and factually kill them. With this knowledge so broadly distributed both through the media and the American education system, I believe that the cool image of smoking has deteriorated in this modern era.